Saturday, June 13, 2009


VEGAN CINNAMON BUNS

Sorry my friends, I only have a picture of my creation through the camera on my cellphone. Maybe I'll get a chance to snap of shot of it on my real camera before the buns get all gobbled up.

I must say I wasn't a true believer of this recipe at first because the rising time was so short for using yeast, but I followed the recipe exactly and it produced amazing cinnamon buns! I will definitely be using this recipe again :)

Recipe adapted from: Meg's Vegan Recipes



Rolls:

3/4 C unsweetend soy milk

1/4 C Earth Balance, softened

3 1/4 C all-purpose flour

1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast

1/4 C white sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 C plus 2 TBS water


Filling:

1 C brown sugar, packed

1 TBS ground cinnamon

1/2 C Earth Balance, softened (I use about 1/3 cup or a bit less)


Glaze: (I lessened the original recipe and took out the maple syrup and corn syrup)

2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 C icing sugar

4 TBS unsweetened soy milk


Instructions:

Heat the soy milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove

from heat. Mix in margarine; stir until melted. Let cool until

lukewarm.


In a large mixing bowl combine 2 1/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt;

mix well. Add water and the soy milk/margarine mixture; beat well. Add

the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each

addition. When the dough has just pulled together, turn it out onto a

lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes


Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let rest for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, cinnamon,

softened margarine.


Roll out dough into a 12x9 inch rectangle. Spread dough with

margarine/sugar mixture (if you want you can add in some raisins or

nuts).


Cut into 12 equal size rolls and place cut side up in 2 lightly

greased rounds pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30

minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).


Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until browned. Combine

all the ingredients for the glaze in a small bowl and mix until

smooth. Let rolls cool a few minutes then drizzle with glaze.










No comments:

Post a Comment