Monday, January 19, 2009

Moist Vegan Columbian Coffee Chocolate Cake






Whenever I bake, I like to make my treats as healthy as possible.  Therefore, we have the following delicious treat:






Ingredients:

1 cup flour
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup Dutch cocoa powder
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup agave
1/2 cup soymilk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp instant Columbian coffee
1 cup boiling water

Preparation:

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9 inch sq baking pan

In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Stir in the soymilk, oil, and agave.

Add 2 tbsp of Columbian coffee to 1 cup of boiling water.

Pour the coffee into the cake batter.

Bake for 35 to 40 mins, or until the cake is set.



*I tried 2 kinds of frosting:
  •  Peanut butter chocolate frosting (mixture of Tofutti "cream cheese,"Better 'n Peanut Butter, powdered sugar, and semi-sweet chocolate chips to taste) 
  • Chocolate sauce (mixture of cocoa powder, hot water, agave, and semi-sweet chocolate chips) 
Verdict? 
  • True to its title, the cake was super moist!
  • The aroma of the Columbian coffee overpowered the cocoa. Unless you don't mind the hint of strong coffee in your cake, I would suggest cutting down the coffee to 1 tbsp. 
  • As to which type of topping to use, my sister and I voted for the chocolate sauce :)


No comments:

Post a Comment